Thursday, July 28, 2011

Razzbana Pancakes--Lucy age 1


Stirring her pancakes.
Eating her tomato. 



Close-Up.

Finished Product.  She thinks. 

Lucy's Take:  More raspberries. 

Amy's Take: Today was RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa) here in Grinnell.  For those of you who live out of state, RAGBRAI is when about 25,000 people (or so) ride their bikes from the Missouri River to the Mississippi (Cool Geography Fact:  Iowa is the only state completely bordered on the East and West sides by rivers).  Every night they stop in some small town,  camp, eat at church suppers  and have a big party.  This year Grinnell was an overnight stop.  So, we had 25,000 extra people in our 10,000 person town today.  And lots of bikes, and buses, and tents.  Every yard is a campground.  And lots of other people have shown up with large beer related inflatables.  And we had a laser show tonight.  You can see it was a busy day here in Grinnell. 
So, we needed a simple meal.  And Lucy wanted to cook it.  My sister was talking last month about how great her Chunky Monkey pancakes are.  I didn't want to call her for the ingredients right before dinner because then I would talk to her for a long time and we wouldn't get to eat.  So, I made it up.  Lucy helped me mix whole wheat pancake batter and I cooked it with walnuts, banana chunks and chocolate chips.  They were ok.  Some kids (Sandra, Amelia, Smith and Lucy) didn't want my Chunky Monkeys, so I went looking for frozen blueberries.  I found raspberries instead.  So we had raspberry-banana-chocolate chip pancakes. Razzbana or Rabana or Rabachip pancakes.   Those were fantastic.  The sweetness of the bananas balanced the tart raspberries really well.  Didn't even need any kind of topping. 

Other Takes:
Molly:  I really liked the Chunky Monkey pancakes.  They reminded me of the crepes with Nutella and banana we have at Aunt Martha's house sometimes. 

2 comments: