Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mustard Glazed Ham Steak and Penne and Cheese--Amelia age 7

Mustard is a spice. Not always a sauce.  We learned that today. 


The sauce charred a bit.  These steaks were so not worth the mess they made.   
Penne and cheese and more cheese.



Finished Product. 

Amelia's Take:  I used a recipe from the internet and a recipe from the cookbook.

Amy's Take:  Our friends moved away last month.  They always had half a cow, or pig, in the freezer.  We don't have half a cow in our freezer.  We tried it once and I found that I don't really love having quite that much variety in my meats.  But, as I was saying, our friends moved away and gave us their remaining frozen meat.  Included in the bounty were a few packages of ham steaks.  I did an online search for "ham steak recipes" and came up with one I thought Amelia could handle http://southernfood.about.com/od/bakedhamrecipes/r/bl30106n.htm
I should have read the fine print.  They were FRESH ham steaks.  The recipe called for cured ham steaks.  I suspect they would have turned out had we used cured ham.  What we ate had a strong pork flavor with way too much sweetness.  Had we used the right steak, the salt would have balanced the sweet.  Good thing Amelia thought that macaroni and cheese would go with the ham.  Well, penne and cheese.  It was tasty.  And I don't even like macaroni and cheese. 

Macaroni and Cheese
12 oz small penne pasta
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 cups milk

4 cups grated cheddar-jack cheese
1.  Cook pasta according to directions on package.  Drain.
2.  Melt butter in saucepan. 
3.  Add flour and stir until mixed well.  Add milk and stir until it is no longer lumpy.  Cook, stirring often, until mixture is thick and bubbly. 
4.  Add grated cheese and stir until cheese is melted. 
5.  Pour cheese sauce over pasta and mix. 

Other opinions:
Sandra:  The ham is ok if you eat really little bites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment