Friday, August 12, 2011

German? Sausage--Amelia age 7

Thoughtfully washing the potatoes. 

Nice Potatoes. 

Finished Product.  What a feast!
Amelia's Take:  We had to pick lots of things in the garden.  It was hard work to find the potatoes.  The potatoes were a little hard to wash.  I didn't help make the zucchini bread, but the zucchini bread was good.  The sausage was a little greasy, but it was good. We used most of it from our garden.  That's all.   

Amy's Take:  My very favorite kind of meal ever is the kind where most everything comes from the garden.  Last night we had garlic zucchini, sliced tomatoes, boiled new potatoes and a savory yeast zucchini bread--all pretty much from our garden.  We are totally like the little red hen--we planted, weeded, picked and cooked.  But, different from the little red hen, we also share what we make.  As the main course for our feast, we modified a German Sausage recipe.  I have no idea if it is at all authentic (my entire experience with German food comes from my trips to the Amana Colonies) and the original recipe is from a lady on Cooks.com called Phyllis Toy.  You can see her recipe here  Anyway, I only kind of sort of followed it.  I did like it better than plain old smoked sausage.  Here is my recipe:
 
 German? Sausage
1 pound smoked sausage--a big single link--like kielbasa, cut in half inch slices. 
1/2 onion, chopped small
1 tbsp.  brown sugar
2 tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 cup water
Brown sausage  in skillet and remove from pan. Add in onions and cook until soft. Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in pan. Add vinegar and water. Bring to boil and stir together. Return sausages to pan and simmer for a while.  I only cooked it for about 20 minutes, but Phyllis Toy says the longer you cook it the better it will taste. 

Other Takes: 
Sandra:  I like the sausage, but not the sauce.  We have enough zucchini for you to make more bread though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment