Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Spaghetti and Garbage Sauce--Amelia age 7

Throwing in some pepperoni. 

Mmmmm.  Pepperonis are yummy. 

The Garbage Sauce. 
Finished Product. 

Amelia's Take:  Yummy dinner.  I made the garbage sauce for Mommy and Sandra. 

Amy's Take:  Here in Iowa you frequently see garbage burgers or garbage salads on restaurant menus.  Kind of a general use, everything but the kitchen sink kind of term.  Amelia wanted to make spaghetti sauce tonight.  Usually she'd put hamburger in it, but the only hamburger in our house was in the basement freezer.  I was folding laundry on top of it and wasn't willing to move it to get the hamburger.  So, we used what was upstairs--some cooked chicken breast and some pepperoni.  We also put in green onions from the garden and some sliced mushrooms (maybe you could tell by now--I put mushrooms in pretty much anything).  Oh, and some tomato sauce, of course. So, we called it  Garbage Sauce.  Everything but the kitchen sink. 

Other opinions:
Lucy: "More sauce."  She ate all of the sauce off the top of her spaghetti and then asked for more, ate all of that and said "More sauce" again.  

1 comment:

  1. Huh, I've been making 'garbage sauce' for years and never knew it. Don't think that term will catch on here. Kids already turn up their noses at things that sound like 'stir up whatever's in the fridge'. If I can give it a nice name they think it's real food. Fritatta means I added eggs and cheese. Spaghetti means with beef and tomato sauce. Veggie ramen means I threw ramen noodles in last. It works.

    I love it that you kids are cooking. My daughter and her friend are learning to make doughnuts today.

    ReplyDelete