Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mushroom and Sausage Pizza--Amelia age 7

Lucy tasting the cheese. 

If one spoon is good, why not use all of the utensils in the drawer?

Mushrooms are yucky.

But they are easy to slice, even with a lousy dull knife. 

Finished Product. 




Amelia's Take:  I cut the mushrooms up and it tasted good. 

Amy's Take:  I had salmon and roast veggies on the menu for Amelia's night.  She was set on pizza.  We looked in our basement freezer for pepperoni.  None there.  Amelia thought hot dogs would be a good topper.  I voted for chicken.  Luckily, we had some sausage.  We made our dough (my recipe below--don't get spoiled here--it is probably the only recipe I'll ever bother typing out).  Amelia cut up mushrooms and I browned the 3/4 pound of ground sausage and added some somewhat fresh basil (from our neighbor's garden last summer and currently from the freezer).  The basil got surprisingly crispy when cooked with the sausage.  We rolled out our dough, and covered it in Hunt's Spaghetti sauce from a can--no sugar added and cheap (why does pizza sauce cost much more per ounce than spaghetti sauce--is it really so different?).  We sprinkled on our sausage, mushrooms and cheese and baked at 400 for about 15 minutes until cheese was bubbly and getting brown. 

Other reactions: 
Smith:  "I hate mushrooms.  I think I see a mushroom. Is this sausage or mushroom?  I really hate mushrooms."  Repeated 28 times. 


Whole Wheatish Pizza Dough
1 tbsp yeast
1 cup hot water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cup white flour
Mix yeast, water, salt and oil in bowl.  Let sit a few minutes.  Add whole wheat flour and stir until mixed well.  Add in remaining flour a 1/2 cup at a time.  When it gets too hard to stir, remove dough from bowl and knead on counter.  Form large ball and let rest ten minutes or until you are done cooking sausage and slicing mushrooms.  Roll our thinly on cookie sheet or large baking stone or whatever. 

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. That does look like a mushroom. They're not that bad though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like mushrooms too much either, Amelia- but your pizza looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smith, if you think you don't like mushrooms, just wait till you try an achovy pizza!

    What's next on the menu?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have homemade pizza almost every Friday night at our house! We love it! Amelia, your pizza looks delicious. I'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, my mouth is watering! Next time maybe you can try the hot dogs. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sausage and mushrooms are my perfered pizza topping!! I think it looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete