Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Rhubarb Crisp--Sandra age 10

Don't eat the leaves. They're poisonous!

Chopping is hard work. 

Do we really want to eat this?

Sometimes we make mistakes.  Like adding oatmeal to the clear glaze for the rhubarb. 
Finished product. 
Sandra's Take: Rhubarb crisp is kind of in the middle of hardness. I messed up a little but it turned out very yummy.

Amy's Take:  Just before Sandra started dinner tonight, I had to run to the store for new camera batteries (oh the trials of having a cooking blog!) and while I was gone she and Molly found a recipe for rhubarb crisp on the internet  http://southernfood.about.com/od/fruitcrisps/r/bl30623m.htm .  It was a bit complicated.  A bottom and top layer of oatmeal stuff, a cooked glaze over the rhubarb.  I got home and suggested using something simpler.  Sandra didn't want to, so she did it all.  Mostly by herself with some help from Molly.  At one point Molly walked in and told me that they were cooking the glaze but thought it would never get clear as the recipe specified.  That was because they put oatmeal in it.  Oatmeal will pretty much never turn into a clear jelly.  We had to redo.  Sandra cried.  It all turned out good.  It is kind of a pain of a recipe that ends up looking like yesterday's oatmeal as soon as you scoop it into your bowl.  

Other Opinions:
Molly:  We had it with ice cream.  It was sweeter than normal rhubarb crisp, but still delicious.  I really liked it, and think that all rhubarb crisp looks disgusting.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm... I'm thinking I might need to go cut some rhubarb in my garden and make some crisp, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great aunt Georgia liked to make strawberry rhubarb pie, but I never enjoyed it. (too tangy!) This recipe have the virtue of mixing in more stuff with the rhubarb, making it easier to like the whole thing...

    ReplyDelete