Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Lasagna--Sandra age 11

Starting the layers. 

It looks ucky, but it is yummy. 

Final Product!
Sandra's Take:  It wasn't a lot of work.  You just had to pour a lot of stuff into the pan.  I made a salad without lettuce because the lettuce was rotten and gross.  It had cucumbers, lots of green onions and tomatoes.  I thought the lasagna was yummy.  I like lasagna more cheesy,  so I put a lot of cheese on top.  Look at my eyes.  I look weird.  We still have leftovers.  I'll make  more lasagna someday when we run out. 

Amy's Take:  I remember the first time I ever made lasagna--I was probably around Sandra's age, or a bit older.  The list of ingredients was daunting, and making three layers about did me in.  There was a huge stack of dirty dishes by the time I finished.  And my mom always made us clean up after ourselves when we cooked.  I've very seldom made lasagna, in large part because of those memories.  I thought I'd simplify things for Sandra.  We didn't use a recipe.  Here is how we did it in three easy steps--I think it did keep Sandra from being overwhelmed:

 Ingredients:
Onion--1/2
Ground beef--1 pound
Can of Hunt's spaghetti sauce
Ricotta cheese--one pound tub
Parmesan cheese--1/2 cup
Egg--1
Italian seasoning--1 tbsp
No-Boil Lasagna noodles--1 box
Shredded mozzarella cheese--about a pound

1.   Chop onion.  Saute onions for a few minutes and add chunks of ground beef.  Cook until brown.  Add spaghetti sauce.  Layer one is done.
2.     Mix a tub of ricotta cheese, however much cheese there is in the parmesan cheese can (there was about 1/2 cup there), one egg and some Italian seasoning. 
3.  Spread one cup of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a 13x9 inch  pan.  Layer no-boil lasagna noodles on top, one thick.  Spread one cup of the cheese mixture on this, another cup of tomato sauce and then a cup of shredded mozzarella cheese on that.  Repeat making layers until you use up all of your ingredients (although you will have a few noodles leftover).  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until cheese is melty and slightly browned and the whole thing is bubbly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment